Passion. That’s the common attribute of those who work for Connections for Children. We are dedicated to helping the children, families, and educators who live in our community and who utilize our services.
If you’re ready to make a difference, upload your cover letter and resume and tell us your interests. We’ll consider you for future opportunities.
Part-time Human Resources Assistant
Connections for Children is seeking a collaborative, adaptable, and enthusiastic professional to join our mission-driven organization. Our mission is to build a stronger future for children, families, and communities through high quality child care resources, education, and guidance.
With more than four decades of experience, Connections for Children is a leading expert on early education and child care in the Westside and South Bay communities of Los Angeles County. We help thousands of parents each year find the solutions they need to help their families.
Reporting to the Deputy Director (DD), the Human Resources (HR) Assistant will perform a variety of skilled administrative and clerical duties related to human resources activities. These include maintaining employee files; processing status changes; assisting with employee benefits; screening resumes/application forms; scheduling interviews; checking references; providing information to employees on policies and procedures; and participating in employee activities. The HR Assistant will demonstrate excellent judgement, discretion and confidentiality of employee and agency matters at all times.
● Supports the Deputy Director to track deadlines, prepare correspondence and presentations, plan meetings, complete reports, and facilitate communication with staff, agency leadership, and external constituents related to human resources.
● Develops and maintains professional and positive working relationships with staff, agency leadership, and consultants.
● Assists the DD in recruitment (i.e., job postings, application screenings, interview questions, initial interviews/screens) and identification of top candidates.
● Provides the DD support in the review and implementation of the agency’s process for onboarding new hires and exiting staff.
● Coordinates and supports the review and updating of agency job descriptions, as needed.
● Assists the DD in the planning, staff training, implementation of annual performance evaluations and performance improvement plans.
● Assists the DD in the planning and implementation of agency-wide training plan and professional development activities.
● Maintains accurate and confidential records and files of employees in accordance with legal requirements and organization policies and procedures.
● Updates human resources records by recording new hires, transfers, terminations, changes in job classifications, and merit increases.
● Coordinates and assists the DD in the annual review of existing agency policies and procedures (e.g., telework, workplace health & safety, etc.) and recommends the establishment of new policies, as appropriate. Provides recommended language for updates to existing policies and draft language for new policies.
● Serves as agency’s onsite HR resource in partnership with—and in the absence of—the DD.
● Participates and assists in coordinating employee relations strategies.
● Performs benefits administration, including change reporting.
● Performs HR-related research and prepares reports, as needed.
● Prepares and disseminates meeting materials and presentations; attends and records meetings, generate minutes, and follows up on action items related to HR.
● Assists with agency-wide events, such as Staff Appreciation Luncheon, staff holiday events, recognition and trainings.
● Assists with conducting HR investigations, as needed.
● Participates in regular HR trainings and briefings. Supports DD in the monitoring and compliance of HR rules and regulations.
● Provides ongoing human capital recommendations to the DD for implementation of HR project plans, best practices, and resolution of issues.
● Keeps the DD up-to-date on COVID-19 related laws and requirements relevant to the agency.
● Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Knowledge and Skill Requirement
● Minimum of three years of experience providing human resources support required.
● Associate’s degree or equivalent from an accredited two-year college or technical school in the field of business administration or a related academic field preferred.
● Proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
● History of punctual and consistent attendance in the workplace.
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
● Experience completing HR-related reports with exceptional attention to detail and accuracy.
● Well-organized and able to self-manage competing priorities.
● Demonstrated ability to exercise discretion and practice good judgment at all times.
● Excellent interpersonal skills, flexible and collaborative; ability to work effectively with all levels of staff, supporters and community members.
● Prior experience maintaining confidentiality of HR and agency matters.
● Commitment to the mission and goals of Connections for Children.
We offer an excellent benefits package.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.